APPLICATION LINK: https://bit.ly/2M7yj5W
Head Coach, Esports (part-time)
Vacancy Notice: 01/11/2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Position Type: Professional
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Student Life
This position demonstrates knowledge of and ability to develop student-athletes both academically and athletically. Identifies prospective student-athletes that qualify for admission to the college. Follows all College and Department policies and procedures related to financial operations. Operates program within all College, ICCAC, and NJCAA guidelines. Assist in the identification, hiring, training, and evaluation of assistant coach(es), including volunteers. Serves as primary representative for ESports to both on-campus and off-campus constituencies. Participates in the planning, organizing, and execution of preseason and season practices. Fosters a positive team atmosphere and supports student athletes’ academic progress, retention, and graduation through mentoring activities and guidance to appropriate support services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Facilitates all facets of practices and competitions.
- Assists in the monitoring of conditioning programs.
- Recruits students and maintains specific roster sizes for the program.
- Collaborates with the Offices of Admissions and Student Services for recruiting and enrolling prospective student-athletes from point of inquiry through registration.
- Monitors, assists, and nurtures student-athletes’ academic progress at the college and assists with placement at four-year colleges and universities.
- Assists in the marketing and promotion of the program.
- Provides first aid in emergency situations and completes required blood borne pathogen training and CPR certification.
- Enforces all safety policies and procedures.
- Performs set-up, tear-down, and storage of equipment.
- Keeps budget expenditures within agreed upon budget plan each year.
- Generate external funds as needed for program aspirations and budget augmentation.
- Maintains inventory of equipment, uniforms, and supplies.
- Coordinates all team travel and transportation in conjunction with the Athletic Administration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Three years’ experience coaching and/or competing in ESports at the college level or significant experience at the high school or club level.
- Thorough knowledge of, or willingness to learn all applicable National Associate of ESports (NACe) rules.
- Knowledge and experience of ESports games such as League of Legends, Overwatch, or similar games.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply effective principles of program administration.
- Ability to effectively teach and coach student-athletes on and off the field.
- Ability to recruit outstanding student-athletes to a strong academic environment.
- Ability to work with diverse populations including faculty, staff, students, and community members.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement special programs related to the College’s programs and operations.
- Knowledge and ability to use software applications, i.e. Microsoft Excel and Word
- Possess strong leadership abilities.
- Successful clearance of criminal conviction record check.
- Must possess a current driver’s license valid in the State of Iowa and a driving record insurable by the College’s insurer.
- Ability to travel.
- CPR/First Aid certification required or ability to obtain.
- Due to the nature of the work involved in coaching; many weeks will entail morning, evening, and weekend hours.
- Needs of the department vary, the percent of time devoted to each part of the job will be governed by seasonal and immediate needs of the department.
- One year experience in recruiting college age athletes.
- One year experience working with college age athletes.
- One year experience in events coordination.
- Part-time position with a choice of retirement programs—IPERS (defined benefit) or TIAA (defined contribution).
- Complete online application at: www.hawkeyecollege.edu/employment including a cover letter.
- Submit online application and all required materials by the deadline.
Background checks and driving records are considered in all hiring decisions.
Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you are in need of any special accommodation in completing the application process, please email Human Resource Services.
Application materials are required and must be received in the Human Resource Services office in order to be considered for the position.