APPLICATION LINK: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/960116007/
Are you a passionate about competitive esports and happen to be a ranked competitive gamer? Do you have experience managing and coaching an esports team or employees? Are you interested in joining the exploding competitive esports space within higher education? If so we may need to talk!
Bay State College, located in Boston’s Back Bay, a member of the National Association of Collegiate Esports (NACE) is currently seeking their founding Head Coach of Esports to build their collegiate esports teams and launch the program across multiple game genres. This position will report directly to the Vice President of Admissions.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, competitive and team oriented professional that has a strong desire to build a top notch esports program while ensuring a commitment to student athlete academic excellence.
- Lead all aspects of the esports program including but not limited to, qualified athlete recruiting, tryouts, team selection, practices, competitions, athlete eligibility, sponsorship development, scholarship selection and budget oversight.
- Accountable for meeting student athlete recruitment/enrollment goals set by the College.
- Provide leadership for the program and foster a respectful and competitive team environment.
- Establish coaching strategies and teaching methods to develop athlete “in game” tactical skills and teamwork; analyze team performance and adjust strategies as needed.
- Record matches, develop and archive to enable video on demand (VOD) completion reviews to inform coaching, feedback and strategy development.
- Organize and schedule weekly practice sessions, develop scouting reports on competition and manage team equipment.
- Establish “bench strength” for each game by building a competitive practice team that competes regularly for each games varsity reserve positions.
- Schedule scrimmages with other colleges and university teams and register the team in appropriate competitions.
- Monitor student athlete academic progress by partnering with academic department chairs and academic advisors to ensure required student athlete academic requirements are being by each student athlete in the program
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Admissions and the admissions team to meet yearly recruitment and retention targets.
- Work with the College’s Financial Aid team on the awarding of all esports scholarships.
- Work with marketing to develop traditional and digital program assets and promote the BSC esports program and brand on various platforms (i.e. social media, twitch, podcasts, radio, etc.).
- Scout and recruit students who will succeed and align with the College’s academic programs and mission.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism toward students, athletes, coaches, parents, college administrators and members of the community.
- Maintain and develop the esports competition space to meet program and team needs.
- Respond to developing changes and best practices in the gaming community and rapidly growing sport.
- Understand all collegiate team rules and regulations, NACE constitution and bylaws, and assure compliance and consistency among staff and student.
- Partner with the Department of Student Affair’s Office of Residence Life to expose and energize the college community around the College’s new sport.
- Act as an esports ambassador to the campus and area community.
- Develop and operate esports camps and outreach opportunities.
- Track athlete recruiting communication activities and contacts in a Constituent Relationship Management System (CRM)
- Other duties to support the program as assigned by the Vice President of Admissions.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required (Preferably in Sports Management, Entrepreneurship or Business) from an accredited four-year college or University.
- Must have a minimum of two years of verifiable high-level competitive gaming experience within a multi-player team based online format in Overwatch, League of Legends or CSGO.
- Must have prior experience either coaching an esports team, coaching other athletic sports or managing employees.
- Prior experience recruiting high school or college students highly valued.
- Experience delivering constructive feedback and coaching to improve performance.
- Unwavering commitment to integrity, academics, ethics and compliance.
- Ability to work and coach individual from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a goal‐oriented strategic thinker.
- Passion and motivation for recruiting student-athletes.
- Excellent communication, time management and organizational skills.
- Professional integrity and a positive approach to conflict management/resolution.
- Experience working with a Constituent Relationship Management System (CRM).
- Ability to work weekdays, weekends, and evenings as required to lead and support the College’s program
- Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
- May require travel to other locations occasionally.
- Requires a high volume of time on your feet and sitting and performing on a gaming PC.
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evening, overnight, and weekend hours.
- CPR/AED certification must be completed within 60 days of hire date (unless current and valid certification is already held).
- Authorized to work in the following country: United States
- Willing to undergo a background check in accordance with local laws and regulations
Salary based on skills and experience.
Interested and qualified candidates should email a cover letter and current resume to the Vice President of Admissions. Please include esports coach in the subject line.
Vice President of Admissions
No Phone Calls Please
Bay State is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.